A brief history
The Brocklesby Estate comprises in excess of 27,000 acres. It is a traditional agricultural estate with a substantial acreage of woodland. The Pelham family came to Lincolnshire in 1565 and the Estate is now owned by the Eighth Earl of Yarborough who resides with his family at Brocklesby Park. There are nine separate departments within the Estate which employ approximately 70 both full and part time staff.
The 1000 acre Park and woodlands were laid out in the 1770's by Capability Brown and the planting of the woodland was initiated by the First Baron Yarborough. The 128ft high Pelham’s Pillar, situated at the south end of the Estate, near Caistor, was built by E J Wilson between 1840 and 1849, commemorating the planting of 12.5 million trees. Annually approximately 30 acres of mature timber are felled and replanted.
The Mausoleum was built between 1786 and 1794 by Charles Anderson Pelham, who subsequently became the First Baron Yarborough, as a memorial to his wife Sophia who died at the early age of 33 years. The Architect was James Wyatt and his classical design is based on the Temples of Vesta, Rome and Tivoli.
The significance of our logo of the buckle is traced to Sir John de Pelham who was a gallant soldier in the reign of Edward the Third. Sir John is perhaps best remembered for his achievements on the 19th September 1356 at the Battle of Poitiers. Legend tells that it was at this battle that the French King gave up his sword to Sir Roger de la Warr and Sir John de Pelham. In rememberance to this, the Pelhams were given, an honourable augmentation, the buckle of a sword belt, as a badge of honour. This badge was used by the descendants in their seals. This buckle can also be seen on various buildings around the estate.